BoomTown Fair is a very different festival to the norm… growing from the roots of British and European subculture it is consistently buoyed by the strength and will of the community it creates. With 45,000 ‘citizens’ joining in on this other-worldly experience, festival attendees are fully immersed in elaborate and carefully crafted ‘film’ sets, where each venue or stage has a position in the overarching narrative of the story that continuously evolves in the world’s craziest city!
- The EcoBond scheme, set up in 2012 was the first at a UK festival; every attendee pays a £10 deposit for an EcoBond which when onsite they can swap a bag of rubbish at one of the dedicated depots to get their £10 bond back. This has seen a huge up take over the years with up to 80% of EcoBonds being exchanged onsite and makes a significant difference to the amount litter left behind.
- Using local suppliers where possible to ensure that shipping miles are reduced and the local area supported economically.
- Reducing traffic congestion and emissions
- Commissioning buses from over 14 cities nationwide to get people to and from the festival site and running local shuttle buses from Winchester train station direct to the festival site.
- Surplus Food Collection: We are delighted to have Eightplate at BoomTown to reduce the amount of perfectly useable food that is binned at the end of the festival. Throughout the festival they will be collecting dry and canned foods from citizens that didn’t quite get round to cooking in the campsites and after the festival they will work with traders to take their surplus stock off their hands. These foods will then be re-distributed to local charities and people in need. www.eighthplate.org.uk
- RING PULL COLLECTING: Another partnership is with PCF who support children and families living in dire poverty on dump sites and in open cemeteries in the Philippines. The PCF team will be #onthepull at BoomTown this year collecting ring pulls from drinks cans. Each ring pull collected is worth 4p to PCF and is hand crafted into beautiful handbags and accessories in their livelihood department in Tondo, Manila. Visit them on site – next to their beautiful coloured bus – to check out the wonderful products on sale and find out more about how PCF provide a pathway out of poverty for some of the poorest people in the World. More information on PCF here: Website: www-p-c-f.org FB:www.facebook.com/pcf.uk Tw: www.twitter.com/PCF_UK
- TRAVEL CARBON OFF-SETTING: BoomTown citizens can offset the carbon generated by their travel to the festival site by donating to Energy Revolution at the point of ticket purchase. Energy Revolution is a registered festival charity that invests in clean energy to tackle climate change and create a sustainable future for everyone. By facilitating a way to account for travel carbon emissions, together we can account for millions of miles of travel. 100% of donations will go directly towards producing clean and renewable energy, replacing dirty fossil fuels with wind and solar power. www.energy-revolution.org.uk